Friday, March 25, 2011

Living in the "NOW"


I feel like so many times people blog things when their upset, pissed or venting...I want to blog today about how good it feels to be me. Yes I have problems and issues like everyone else but all in all I live a pretty great life filled with really great people. I wake up in the morning to an amazing husband, in a nice home we own (or should I say will own when the rest of our $230k mortgage is paid off in 28 years lol) and 2 of the cutest, sweetest pups anyone could have. I have 2 healthy legs to get me around, arms I can use, a functioning brain and like always an open heart. I believe one needs to start each day with a clear mind and an open heart. I used to dread getting up in the morning, having to do hair, makeup, dressed for work and all the little things I need to take care of before I can get out of the house and on my way to the office. Then I read a book called “A new Earth” by Eckhart Tolle and it changed my views on life, how I was living, and the power your mind can have over virtually every decision you make and your reactions to them. Let me share a few of my favorite Quotes from the book…
  • ·         "You do not become good by trying to be good, but by finding the goodness that is already within you, and allowing that goodness to emerge. But it can only emerge if something fundamental changes in your state of consciousness."
  • ·         "How do you let go of attachment to things? Don't even try. It's impossible. Attachment to things drops away by itself when you no longer seek to find yourself in them"
  • ·         "Accepting means you allow yourself to feel whatever it is you are feeling at that moment. It is part of the "isness" of the Now. You can't argue with what is. Well, you can, but if you do, you suffer."
  • ·         "Life will give you whatever experience is most helpful for the evolution of your consciousness. How do you know this is the experience you need? Because this is the experience you are having at the moment."
  • ·         "If her past were your past, her pain your pain, her level of consciousness your level of consciousness, you would think and act exactly as she does. With this realization comes forgiveness, compassion, peace. The ego doesn’t like to hear this, because if it cannot be reactive and righteous anymore, it will lose strength."
After reading this book I knew at that moment I wasn’t living in the “now.” I was living in the what has happened and what may happen. I just needed to be present in the moment. Whether it was good or bad just be in THAT moment. Let me tell you; After making that conscious decision my life has been much more peaceful and enjoyable. If it’s a “bad” moment I take time to think about it. I go through the pros and cons. I try to decide what good may come from it and then focus on bringing that positive outcome to fruition. If I’m in a “good” or “happy” moment I stay in that moment and enjoy it. I don’t waste time wishing it wouldn’t end, or when we can do it again, or hoping I could be “that happy” all the time because that’s not possible. You can’t fully live life if you don’t experience good with bad, pain with Joy, and sadness with happiness. Living fully means to feel and acknowledge every single solitary moment and know in the end you will learn something from it, be a better person and once you experience something you will know what to expect when it happens again…if it happens again.
I continue to move through my days feeling and experiencing. I laugh, cry, scream and sometimes pout but no matter what I let myself have those feelings yet don’t allow myself to wallow in it or play the “why me?” game. WHY YOU?? Because god, Buddha or whatever higher power you believe in chose for you to experience that feeling at that exact time for a purpose. Like the saying goes “If god brings you to it, God will pull you through it.”  So I say embrace life, embrace the fact you have emotions and reactions as that means you feel things deeply. Thank God every day you have the power to decide how you will react to things as some people have no choices in life. Be thankful you have the ability to change things in your life you aren’t happy or content with as others may not have the same power within them. Most importantly love each moment good or bad. You don’t have to like it but know it’s going to bring you to where you are destined to be and if you’re coming from a place of thankfulness and acceptance you will find true peace within yourself and in your life.

4 comments:

  1. I heard a really good message several years ago about the same thing; he called it "The Sacred Now." I like that term. It's so easy to focus on the past or on the future and miss experiencing what you have at this moment. He also said to write your plans in pencil because God can change them at any time; just focus each day on what you're supposed to be doing right then. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that pencil comment! I'm going to use that! I think Ill get that book and read it. I'm really into those kinds of books. I'm a non-fiction kinda girl :-) Glad you're reading my blog!! I'm keeping up on yours too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! Now I have another book to add to my reading list :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!! and thanks woman!!!

    ReplyDelete