Thursday, February 17, 2011

Today is a GREAT day!


Well The title speaks volumes. Today IS a GREAT day! Let me start by filling you all in on the past few years of my life so this blog makes any kind of sense. I'm 31 and married to an amazing man. We met in 2003 after an awful breakup (on my end) (PS that's a blog later to come) we fell in love, got engaged in 2006, married November 24th 2007, bought a house in May 2008 where we've lived ever since. When we bought the house I was and still am employed by a large newspaper in the advertising department and my husband (Chris) was working for a newspaper in advertising as well. 9 months after we moved in and got settled Chris gets news his company is going out of business. WHAT A BLOW...as bad as this will sound I wasn't even thinking about his feelings or the fact he gave his all to this company, busted his ass and now it was for nothing. All I could think was OMG we have a mortgage now, we want to have a baby, if something breaks hows it going to get fixed, oh my god, oh my god OH MY HOLY FUUUCK MEEEEEEE! Yeah I was a mess, I was in full blown panic mode. After a few cigarettes, a call to my mom and another to my dad I calmed myself. Chris is skilled, talented, loyal and smart...he'll have a job in no time. Boy was that not the case but some how I think our brains trick us into thinking whatever it is we need to think to get through and keep us from throwing ourselves off a tall tall bridge lol So as if that wasn't enough Chris decides he hates sales and wants to change careers...Information Technology. OK great I say to him...what does that mean? You take a class, read some books and go get a job in IT? No not quite...there were many classes, many tests and a good amount of money needed to cover it all. Lets speed this up a bit...long story short Chris gets his classes and tests covered by The Dept. of Unemployment, he passes, its now been 8 long months of unemployment, he has these certifications so buddy time to get a job cause momma cant pay all the bills alone. Chris lands on his feet and gets a job working in "IT" or so he's told. That job was nothing like it was made out to be, they worked him like a slave, used and abused him then tossed him out when the job they needed done was complete. GREAT ANOTHER BLOW! however this time money wasn't my main concern. We made it before we'll do it again...this time I was heart broken for Chris. He worked so hard, long nights, weekends dedicated his everything and they betrayed his trust and their "promise" to be loyal to their employees. Their company motto "We aren't employees we are a family" was just plain old bullshit to me now. If that's how you treat your family Id rather be in foster care. I was just sad. Now here we are into May 2010 and again on the job hunt. 2 months later Chris lands a job as an IT tech at a law firm. Lets just say that ended after 3 weeks. Not on bad terms, nothing he did or they did just wasn't a fit. So that brings us to Sept 2010...Chris is back on the hunt. By now my nerves are shot, I'm exhausted yet cant sleep, frustrated that bad things do happen to good people and mad. I was mad at the world, mad at myself for not making more money I was just over it all. Then It happened... a call from a company who would end up changing our lives FOR THE BETTER. It was a man who wanted to interview Chris for an IT position on a military base. He goes, interviews and kills it!! long process short he ends up getting secret clearance, gets a great, stable positon...I mean its the Military...they don't go out of business so no worries about that...THANK U GOD. 3 months goes by and now we are in present day...February 2011. 3 weeks ago Chris gets a call...its a different position on base. One that's 2 tiers higher then he is now and working with the most powerful men and women on base. So another interview and again my baby kills it!! He gets the job, gets a raise and for the first time in 2 years we will have money left over to save, we can afford the baby we have wanted for so long, vacations will be more then just a day trip to the beach or the trip we take yearly but my parents foot the bill. It'll be nice to be able to do things for them. Take them places even if for now its just to dinner. Its more then we could do for the past 2 years. Today is a great day. Tonight I will sleep without waking up thinking about money, today I feel like the bricks that have been laid on my chest trying to bury me and take me down have been broken through, today I feel proud. Proud that I have a husband who has goals, pushes to reach them, wants to support his family, strives to be the best he can be and doesn't let people push him down. Hes taken a lot of ego blows the past two years and its never stopped him or kept him from believing in himself. I believe in him too, now more then ever and I know together we will accomplish anything. From this day forward I will look at him as not only my husband and friend but as a provider, a person I can count on, someone to look up to.

No comments:

Post a Comment